Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    PM Modi and Meloni spotlight deepening India-Italy ties

    May 21, 2026

    UAE and Germany review strategic ties in Berlin

    May 21, 2026

    Esports World Cup 2026 to be Hosted in Paris, France

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Riyadh DailyRiyadh Daily
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Riyadh DailyRiyadh Daily
    Home » Nigeria asset sale hits regulatory snag for Exxon Mobil
    Business

    Nigeria asset sale hits regulatory snag for Exxon Mobil

    August 9, 2022
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email

    In response to Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari’s approval of the $1.28 billion sale of shares in Exxon Mobil’s Nigerian unit to Seplat, Nigeria’s petroleum regulator said it stood by its refusal to approve the deal. Under a newly enacted petroleum law passed last year, the petroleum minister can only approve such an acquisition upon recommendation from the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC). Reports by Reuters indicate that Buhari also holds the position of petroleum minister.

    Nigeria asset sale hits regulatory snag for Exxon MobilThis is purely a regulatory issue, and the commission has communicated to ExxonMobil the decline of ministerial consent in this regard. Therefore, the status quo remains, the NUPRC said. Earlier this year, the NUPRC had declined to approve the deal without publicly explaining its decision. The deal was approved by Buhari on Monday. Reuters reported that Buhari will meet his junior oil minister Sylva Timipre on Tuesday. Timipre will issue a statement after the meeting, the source said. Also opposing the sale is NNPC Limited, which claims it has preemptive rights.

    In accordance with the Petroleum Industry Act, enacted last year after nearly two decades in the making, a holder of a petroleum exploration license cannot “transfer his license or any right, power or interest without the commission’s prior written consent.” The law also states “when the minister gives consent in respect of the application for a transfer, the commission shall record the transfer promptly in the appropriate register.”

    Whether the petroleum minister’s consent can override the commission’s objection is unclear. Shell and TotalEnergies, two oil majors in Nigeria, want to exit shallow water operations due to community disruptions and focus on deep water drilling instead.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email

    Related Posts

    GME posts strongest trading week in two decades

    May 19, 2026

    Dubai Green Corridor keeps cargo moving during disruptions

    May 18, 2026

    Air Arabia Q1 profit slips as regional disruption bites

    May 15, 2026

    India unveils sovereign-backed maritime insurance pool

    May 14, 2026
    Latest News

    PM Modi and Meloni spotlight deepening India-Italy ties

    May 21, 2026

    UAE and Germany review strategic ties in Berlin

    May 21, 2026

    South Korea launches $665.5 million industrial growth fund

    May 20, 2026

    Etihad expands Paris route with double daily A380 flights

    May 20, 2026

    Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework

    May 20, 2026

    GME posts strongest trading week in two decades

    May 19, 2026

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026
    © 2026 Riyadh Daily | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.