Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    PM Modi and Meloni spotlight deepening India-Italy ties

    May 21, 2026

    UAE and Germany review strategic ties in Berlin

    May 21, 2026

    Esports World Cup 2026 to be Hosted in Paris, France

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Riyadh DailyRiyadh Daily
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Riyadh DailyRiyadh Daily
    Home » Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chief
    Health

    Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chief

    July 13, 2022
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email

    As a new wave of infections spreads across Europe and the US, the World Health Organization (WHO) has urged governments and health care institutions to take immediate steps to stop the spread of COVID-19. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the WHO, said at a press conference in Geneva that sub-variants of the Omicron strain were increasing the number of cases and the number of deaths. It was Tedros’ suggestion that standards such as mask usage be revived so as to prevent the spread of the disease.

    Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chiefAlthough there has been an increase in cases, the WHO is concerned that surveillance of the virus and any new varieties is waning. WHO officials reiterated that COVID-19 is still a public health emergency of global concern, as the WHO classifies pandemics. New cases of BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron sub-variants are occurring in Europe when people start traveling again after two years of staying put after attending huge meetings.

    According to the Office for National Statistics, one in every 25 English people tested positive in the last week of June. Even if a person has already had COVID-19, they are still susceptible to infection; however, immunization helps protect against serious illnesses. “New waves of the virus demonstrate that COVID-19 is nowhere near over,” Tedros said, adding that he is “concerned about a rising death toll.”

    According to the WHO, there has been no evidence to date that BA.5 is more severe than prior Omicron variants, or that vaccines and approved treatments are ineffective, although many governments remain concerned about the BA.5 sub-lineage, particularly as it relates to re-infections.

    Despite a decline in surveillance, including testing and sequencing to detect and identify variants, Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO’s Technical Lead Officer for COVID-19, said the virus is still spreading globally at an accelerated pace. All vulnerable individuals and those in their immediate circle were already advised to get a second booster dose of the vaccine by the WHO’s regional director for Europe.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email

    Related Posts

    Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC

    May 16, 2026

    Measles outbreak in Bangladesh leaves toll at 415

    May 12, 2026

    Hantavirus probe deepens after deaths on Atlantic cruise

    May 4, 2026

    DR Congo lifts national mpox emergency after two years

    April 3, 2026
    Latest News

    PM Modi and Meloni spotlight deepening India-Italy ties

    May 21, 2026

    UAE and Germany review strategic ties in Berlin

    May 21, 2026

    South Korea launches $665.5 million industrial growth fund

    May 20, 2026

    Etihad expands Paris route with double daily A380 flights

    May 20, 2026

    Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework

    May 20, 2026

    GME posts strongest trading week in two decades

    May 19, 2026

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026
    © 2026 Riyadh Daily | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.